Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Or add to your news reader: Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wii is pronounced whee

The other day I queued up a Lion King video from youtube for my daughter on my wife's iPhone. I walked out of the room and came back and she was playing a different video. The first time she picked up the phone, she was gleefully scrolling through the pictures stored on it. The iPhone is that intuitive and easy. It's accessible to her because its simple and user friendly.

The Wii has that same friendliness. You don't need to know how to do 6 button/stick combinations to execute a punch. You punch. You swing your arm to hit a ball. It's that easy.

This simplicity of function opens video games to generations that have been previously locked out by fears of carpal tunnel and a lack of desire to learn the nuances of an Xbox controller with its intimidating set of a dozen buttons.

The Wii has weak graphics and almost seems like a step backward, but its really a quantum leap forward in terms of accessibility and downright fun. Kids love it. So do their parents. Video games have been the domain of the teenage and twenty-something male forever. I often hear about women that love to play the Wii, too. Nintendo has broken the video game out of the niche and into the mainstream.

When a company reinvents a category like Nintendo has with the Wii, stock outperformance is almost a given. I own some stock for my daughter and I have no intentions of selling it. It's a winner.

No comments:

Blog Archive